About the Expeditions
Since 2003, Cape Farewell has led eight expeditions to the Arctic including two Youth Expeditions run in collaboration with the British Council. Each expedition was spectacular and unique in its own way.
The aim of each expedition is to inspire the artists, musicians, play-writes, comics, educators, teachers and young people who travel with us to respond in some way and make work which engages audiences with climate change and ultimately help achieve a cultural shift that embraces sustainable lifestyles.
In 2009 we launched the first Cape Farewell expedition outside of the Arctic to the Andes in Peru in collaboration with the Environmental Change Institute, Oxford University.
- Cape Farewell aims to bring education, science and the arts together through adventure and environmental awareness.
- Undertake a inspirational voyage to hot-spots of climate change as the Arctic and the Andes and to destinations nearer to home and vital for any change.
- Disseminate current thinking and information about ocean science to as broad a public as possible through science, arts, education and the media
- Employ the web and a rich variety of media to excite the public into a deeper understanding of ocean currents and their direct relationship to global warming
- Work with scientific community to develop new ways to communicate recent oceanographic discoveries utilising interactive web design, video graphics and games and artistic projects
- Work with artists to produce powerful visual events to capture public attention and inform